Hollis Gillespie, author and expert writing instructor, has imparted her ‘must-do’s’ to help you blog you way to financial freedom as well as position yourself as a blogger. Here’s what she has to say:
1. Focus your content: Decide what is your ONE thing that you are going to write about…it doesn’t have to be BIG, it just has to be big to YOU. Connect with your voice and your unique narrative-do not obsess about grammatical perfection.
2. Best sites to help you monetize your blog: Problogger.net & Copyblogger.com
3. Killer Blogs=Traffic=Income
4. Six characteristics of killer blogs: Post often, forget perfection, write like you speak, specific subject matter, know your audience, keep it short.
5. Migrate your blog content to your own domain: Reserve your own domain name on GoDaddy.com and then employ the services of http://www.techadvocatesolutions.com to integrate all of your blog/website needs.
6. Explore sites you like, take a ‘news’ post and write an opinion piece on it.
–Check out Google.com/trends
-Set up Google Alerts for your subject matter (www.google.com/alerts)
-See what is popular in the blogosphere: Digg, StumbleUpon, Reddit
7.Investigate options for affiliate marketing on your blog(Amazon.com has a program)
8. Create a PayPal Merchant account that allows you to accept credit card purchases on your site
9. Research top blogs in your category (www.technorati.com) and guest blog on them
10. Advertise your blogs on your Twitter account and Facebook Fan Page